Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Callos

IMG_3908



INGREDIENTS

beef tripe, sliced
garlic, minced
onion, chopped
ginger, crushed
pork and beans
5 tbsp soy sauce
ground black pepper
sugar
salt

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

1. Boil tripe with water, ginger and salt until it is tender (remove fat)
2. Replace water and reboil, when fat has been removed
3. Slice tripe lenghtwise
4. Saute garlic and onion
5. Add tripe, soy sauce and pepper then stir fry for ten minutes
6. Add pork and beans, then sugar

I don't know how to make Callos and before I made this, I have never handled TRIPE (ever in my life). I am not even sure how Callos is supposed to taste like, so this is really stupid of me. I picked this recipe because even though it did not seem legit, it was easy, and I thought --- I am cooking for just three people (Bon, Monique and I) so I don't really have to impress culinary experts, who will have so much to say. In fact, almost anything I serve to these two is well appreciated, so I wasn't really worried. 

Boiling the tripe was very tricky. I did not know that it was going to take so long and I spent hours waiting for it to soften (if I remember right, I think it took me more than 6 hours). A friend told me that I was going to be in trouble --- it takes her family two days to create Callos, but I told her, this is not the real Callos so she doesn't have to worry. 

I would add a small pack of tomato sauce, if I am going to do this again because the pork and beans was quite dominant. I boiled the tripe, very well, though --- so I did well with that. Hopefully, next time, I will get to try the more difficult recipe and I will write about it, For now, though, I hope this is good enough. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

foodie ingredients

all purpose cream atsuete seeds bacon bagio beans baguio beans balsamic vinegar banana basil bay leaf beef beef brisket beef broth beef tripe beer bell peppers black bean black olives black pepper braised beef brandy bread broccoli brown sugar butter button mushrooms canned tomatoes capers carrots cauliflower cayenne pepper celery cheese cheese slices chicken chicken fillet chicken liver chicken stock chili chili flakes chili powder chilli flakes chives chorizo cilantro clams coconut coconut milk coriander corn cornstarch cottage cheese crab meat cream dory cream of corn crushed pepper cucumber cumin curry powder dry sherry egg yolk eggplant eggs fish fish sauce flour foil fried food gabi garlic ginger glass noodles gravy green bell pepper green chili pepper green onions green peas ground beef ground pork ham hoisin sauce honey honey mustard japanese bread crumbs japanese mayonnaise japanese vinegar kangkong kani kikkoman korean laurel leaves lemon lemon rind lettuce lime juice liquid seasoning liver liver spread malagkit mayonnaise milk mirin mongo beans mozarella cheese mozzarella mushrooms Nando's peri-peri sauce noodles oil olive oil olives onion onions orange marmalade oregano oyster mushrooms oyster sauce paprika parmesan cheese parsley pasta pechay penne pasta pepper pine nuts pineapples pork pork and beans pork chops pork cubes pork liver pork steak potatoes radish raisins red bell pepper red kidney beans rice vinegar saffron salt sardines seafood seaweed wrapper sesame oil sesame seeds shitake mushrooms shrimps siling labuyo sinandomeng sinigang mix sirloin beef sitcharo sour cream soy sauce spaghetti sauce spinach spring onions squid sring rolls star anise stew string beans sugar sweet chili sauce tahong taro leaves thyme tilapia tofu tomato sauce tomatoes tumeric powder tuna vegetables vienna sausage vinegar wasabi paste water young corn
 
;